Monday, January 10, 2005

What is this blog all about?

That is, of course, the burning question on everybody's minds. Who knows? Not I, for one. I'm simply curious about what happens when you put your random musings out in the world, for someone to notice, or care about, or more likely not. Is it an expression of loneliness and insecurity, or self-confidence and supreme ego? Are there any philosophy majors reading this? I sure hope not - I was one, and got as tired of myself and all of my classmates as the rest of the world must already have been. So, any purportedly philosophical answers to any question posed on this blog will be at best ignored.

So, let us approach the question from another perspective. What will most often be posted here? Well, probably drink recipes, for one. If you're not drunk while looking at this sort of site online, start now - you'll probably need it before you're done. Information which I think is useful for the world to know will probably comprise another section or two. And, there will be the odd political rant and movie review, and update on the state of the world as I see it. (This is definitely trending towards the egotism end of the spectrum, I can see already.) For now, I want to define "overground".

There's a great deal of interest, especially in the young, in anything which is secret, elite, special, or underground. Well, why not? What's life for, if not creating an infinite subdivision of categories which make one cooler than thou? Well, this is overground. It is not secret, unless one equates secret with being completely unknown. It is not elite, unless you prefer to think so, in which case, carry on then. It is only special in that it is unique, because there's only one of me and one of you, gentle reader. Therefore, it is overground. It is not cooler than anything, as I'm sure everyone will agree. And why do I disapprove of underground? Because everyone who drinks whiskey becomes equally drunk, unless you're Irish, in which case, rock on. And that's as philosophical as this is going to get.

No comments: