Sunday, January 16, 2005

So what are your blogs all about?

I have been considering once again: why do we (I'll use we, since obviously I'm here doing this too) all get online, some of us once a day or more, and rant to the world? Well, the theory I'm evolving, having looked at a LOT of different pages on this site (do I have more time to burn than others? right now, yes) is that it's the technologically advanced equivalent of the mimeographed Christmas update letter, at least in many cases. Too many friends to call each and every one and tell them how little Timmy did in school? Send out a massive missive, and get it all done at once. Do they all care? Maybe, maybe not. But at least all the bases are covered.

Then there's the idiots who seem to think that writing in the fomat of a blog gives them the excuse to completely ignore capitalization, punctuation, spelling and syntax. Okay, news flash for anyone who falls into this category: rules of grammar were invented for a reason. And I'll tell you what that is. Ready? All right, because you can't fuckin' understand what the sentence (quote unquote, in many cases) is supposed to be about without some even perfunctory attempt at structure. At some point I will copy and paste some of the more gross examples to this site. I doubt it would violate any international copyright laws, as, frankly, anyone who claims a right, copy or otherwise, to some of this stuff can have it with my blessing. Then again, who needs more trash on their blog. There's certainly enough on this one as it is, correctly spelled and properly formatted trash notwithstanding.

And my last complaint (this started as an analysis, of sorts - how did it become a laundry list of small irritations?) is the vast number of non-sequitur pictures on profiles. I'm assuming there are not in fact any cartoon rabbits posting blogs at this time. If there actually is a blog written by Harvey, then my conception of the world has just undergone a radical alteration, not for the better. No picture (such as the Editor) or a photo of oneself, makes sense. It's not a crime against nature or anything to represent yourself as Hello Kitty. It just makes everyone wonder . . . does this person not have a face? Do they, if in possession of such, dislike it so much that they need to pretend to be Daffy Duck? I guess it shows a lack of confidence, which is unfortunate. Either show the world what you look like, or try to get by on who you are, but don't make everyone try to respond to a screenshot from Dragonball Z for god's sake.

One last completely unrelated note. I highly recommend the film Shaun of the Dead to anyone who likes zombie movies. A good portion of the humor is actually dependent upon having seen other zombie movies, but in this context, that's not a bad thing. It's a genuinely original contribution to the genre, and although gory, as all zombie movies really should be, it won't shock anyone who's seen, say, Cannibal Holocaust. And that's an extremely extreme example. This did not come from my new releases plan, by the way. I decided to take the day off and actually watch something I wanted to see, sorry to disappoint any masochists-by-proxy out there.

No comments: